Re: [SLUG] MP3 gain

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Sep 09 2008 - 19:02:35 EDT

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, Ron Youvan wrote:

>> I've got an album whose tracks are in mp3 format. The gain for these
>> tracks was set per track, so the gain for track x is different than the
>> gain for track y. While this isn't particularly annoying, it is in this
>> case because several tracks merge continuously into the next and it is
>> rather annoying to have the loudness change abruptly in the middle of a
>> song.
>
>> So, how can I re-normalize these tracks as a set without re-encoding them?
>> I have "mp3gain", but I can't make it DTRT. Both "-a" and "-r" leave
>> sudden volume changes on some track transitions. Is it possible the
>> original encoding software modified the actual data? Would that affect
>> mp3gain?
>
> Slackware comes with a program named normalize, always has.
> (try man normalize)

Don't have it:

eben@pc:~$ locate normalize | grep bin
eben@pc:~$

Synaptic shows a package called "normalize-audio" which is described thus:

,--
| | adjust the volume of WAV files to a standard volume level
| normalize-audio is a tool for adjusting the volume of WAV files to a
| standard volume level. This is useful for things like creating mix CDs
| and mp3 databases, where different recording levels on different albums
| can cause the volume to vary greatly from song to song.
'--

Same? Handles MP3s too but too ashamed to admit it?

> It requires a command line value I use:
> " /usr/bin/nice -n -17 normalize -a -12dbfs $1 " in my script files.
>
> This scans the wav or mp3 file, it changes the wav file level
> and for a mp3 file it sets a "play with the attenuator up or down
> this much value" flag. This works (mp3) with everything that I have that
> plays mp3s. YMMV

Does that command lower each 12dB from what it is? Or what?

--
"Never go off on tangents, which are lines that intersect a curve at
only one point and were discovered by Euclid, who lived in the 6th