[SLUG] A question of routing

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Sep 12 2008 - 10:57:20 EDT

Folks.
I have the following scenario
a set of large machines which each has a internal network of computers,
All computers communicate over a internal network via a switch.

I now have a need to VNC into each one of those computers, I can do it
as follows. I replace the switch with a router which has a 8 port switch on
the LAN side. I set up each machine with VNC using different ports, i.e.
computer one uses sceen 0 (port 5900)
computer two uses screen 1 (port 5901)
computer 3 uses screen 2 (port 5902)

In the router I have set up on the machine, I have set up a routing table
based on the port number so a VNC request with a port number of 5900
is routed to computer one, and so one. This works, I have tested it and
have had all of the internal computer screens on my desktop at the same
time (long live VNC). Now this is all fine and dandy but most installations
will have many of these machines so I need to put a second router between
all of the machines and the outside network, indeed this router will have a
VPN so the machine can be accessed remotely. I am not going to publish
the individual router addresses of each machine, so what I need is a router
that can take a URL and use it to route the connection to the correct machine
router.

Here is a example. I have two machines, machine one has a address of
92.168.2.11, machine two is 92.168.2.12. The router that is in front of those
two machines is 172.28.13.241. So I need a mechanism that will allow me
to establish a connection via the 172 addressed router. I am assuming that
most of the low end routers do not have enough smarts to do this. I have
done this with a linux machine where I had a alternate video source along
with those that are on the linux machine, (it is a zone minder machine) in
this case if you go to www.abc.com/zm you get the zoneminder app, but
if you do www.abc.com/192.168.3.123, you get a camera that does not
support ZM but I do need to look at it's video every once in a while. I need
to do the same sort of thing with this router which sets in front of all of the
machines. What are your ideas?

--
Chuck Hast -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;