Re: [SLUG] A question of routing

From: Larry Brown (larry.brown@dimensionnetworks.com)
Date: Mon Sep 15 2008 - 10:14:01 EDT

On Sun, 2008-09-14 at 20:05 -0400, Chuck Hast wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 10:43 AM, Larry Brown
> <larry.brown@dimensionnetworks.com> wrote:
> > When you VPN from the WAN to the router, your Internet client should get
> > an IP address on the LAN. This should allow your client to hit any
> > machine in the LAN and any machine on the LAN should be able to hit the
> > client on the WAN using the address he got from the VPN connection.
> >

> This is what I want but so far I have not been able to get it to
> happen. It appears
> that most of the small routers that are on the market are designed for the WAN
> port to be linked to another router which is what you describe below. I need the
> first instance I want to put the machine on the WAN side into the network on
> the LAN side. Once I get that piece fixed I will have what I need. Guess I will
> have to keep testing until I find one that works. Now just to find one
> that will allow
> a client to access the VPN on the WAN side.

> In summary all I need is a router with a VPN that will allow a client to access
> the VPN on the WAN side without the need to another router as the gateway.

After poking around for a few minutes I would suggest either a Cisco
small business router which won't be cheap but that has a Linux client
because I know they have one or check out the documentation on
openswan/freeswan and look at their interoperability documentation. They
had examples of how to configure it for different VPN routers and will
probably list the devices so you know what to look for.

Larry