Re: [SLUG] Video server, audio server and client

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Sep 26 2008 - 10:59:23 EDT

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 8:46 AM, Ron Youvan <ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>> I need some guidance here. I want to set up a small Linux machine to
>> handle a video stream from a camera and audio from microphone along
>> with incoming audio from a remote site. The idea is to place a camera
>> on a industrial machine, when there is a problem, the operator can
>> position the camera, connect a headset with mic, call a remote viewing
>> site and have a engineer look at his streaming video.
>
> They make color cameras with IP addresses (internal HTTP server) and
> a cell phone can handle the talking.
>
> Only re-invent a wheel when it can make you a millionaire.

No, I need more also these machines are installed in glass plants and
glass plants are not in the most elegant parts of the planet generally,
cellphone coverage is spotty even in this country, I was up in Port
Allegheny at a glass plant there and had no coverage, just came from
one in Millville, NJ, had to go outside in order to use my phone, this
is in THIS country, most of the glass plants I visit are extraterritorial,
and all bets are off. BUT we have these nice IP pipes into our machines
even in places where the cellular is bad.

Now here is the other side of the coin, we need to use a headset that
uses and CONTACT mic, due to the noise levels in the plant, have you
ever tried to use a cellphone inside a large industrial plant, where the
noise levels demand earplugs?? I have a headset and contact mic
solution, I have nice fat IP pipes to my machines I just want to get
video and audio in and out of them.

I will probably start out with a stripped down version of ZM as I do not
need to capture the events, but I do need to be able to handle multiple
cams and also be able to configure each cam for a particular situation
and ZM does that.

All I need now is a audio server that the remote system can connect
to.

Another solution is a linux version of Netmeeting, nad I have found that
there are some solutions that way.

Thanks for the info guys, but the heads at work have actually already
tried that and they went against a wall, I want to walk away with the
prize and make it Linux at that.... We did have one guy come in the
house with a cam mounted on a hard hat and a head set with a boom
mic, he was using Skype as his solution, but a lot of 3rd world countries
block Skype, as it impacts their national telco cash cow...

Besides we have the path into each machine and I see all of the bits
and pieces out there just looking for feedback from anyone who may
have done at this point the audio more than anything else as I already
am handling video using ZM, indeed you can see my cams on my home
at www.wchast.com/zm login as guest password guest...

I just need to add full duplex audio to the video and life is good.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;