RE: [SLUG] Ubuntu client trying to access shared folders on server (Win 2003)

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott11@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Sat Sep 27 2008 - 17:44:28 EDT

Alberto,

I'll start with very basic assumptions. Pardon if this is below your level
of understanding.

In any network, the PCs chat using a protocol, which is like a language
between humans. Linux can use several protocols, but Windows uses SMB.
Linux uses SaMBa to speak that protocol.

There are two types of Windows networks: Workgroups and Domains. A
workgroup is a simple network (usually with just a few PCs) that allows any
PC to connect, as long a the user has an account on the 'target' pc. If you
have a network consisting of Windows XP PC sharing a folder called
"Net_Files" and you try to connect to it with a Windows PC or a Linux PC
running Samba, the XP PC will ask for your username and password. The XP PC
will have a local copy of the account information and if valid, it will
allow you to connect to the shared folder (based on the permissions your
account has for that folder). But if you have 10 PCs, that means each PC
would have to have a copy of the account. This is a headache because if you
want to change the password, you have to change it in 10 PCs.

A domain is quite different. A domain has a master server (Primary Domain
Controller) that has all the accounts, passwords and permissions. A Windows
XP pc is not allowed access to any shared folder (or printer) unless the PC
is a member of the domain, even if the user has an account. If you "join"
the PC to the domain, then the PC will "trust" the master server. If you
try to log onto a Windows PC that is a member of a domain, the PC sends your
username and password to the Domain Master. The Domain Master makes the
decision to allow (or not) you to log on, and decided what you are allowed
to do. If the PC is not a member of the domain, the entire domain ignores
you. That is an over simplification, but that's the basic idea.

A domain can be a good thing, since changing a password on the server means
it's changed on all the PCs. If you disable an account on the server, it's
disabled everywhere. This service is called "Active Directory" in Windows,
and Linux/Unix has LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol), which I
believed is what Microsoft "copied" to create Active Directory. In a
nutshell, this "directory" is the container for all the usernames,
passwords, file shares, printer shares and computer names.

A Windows XP PC can be in a workgroup or a domain, but Windows Server
REQUIRES a domain. So what I believe is happening is your Linux PC is not a
member of the domain and is being ignored.

Option #1 - Join the Linux PC to the Windows Domain.
   See
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/domain-member.htm
l#ads-member

Option #2 - You can get around this by using FTP on the Windows server. FTP
does not require domain membership, only a valid user account. Once the
folder is shared via FTP, you can use any kind of computer to connect.
Using FireFox with FireFTP is pretty cool.

Good luck. Sorry for the long post.

Ken Elliott