Re: [SLUG] Pidgin ICQ spam

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Tue Oct 07 2008 - 23:22:49 EDT

On Tuesday 07 October 2008, Eben King wrote:

> I installed it with dpkg (no dependencies needed to be satisfied), but
> synaptic uninstalled it the next chance it had. So the only way of keeping
> it installed (maybe) would have been to use apt-get from then on.

And that summarizes what is the worst with some packet managers.

Once I decided to go with a 64 bit O/S I went through over 100 distro's
looking for something that would cover my points. I'm tired of tracking and
spending a lot of time maintaining the system and wanted to have less of
that.

In the end I decided to go with Kubuntu. A fair amount of packets available,
does a pretty good job of keeping things working. But, there is TOO much
of "we know what's best for you" attitude and bypassing me. If it just said
something like We have found this to be the best choice what do you want?
Then I could agree or disagree.

Right now it's only good if you either leave it the way they want it, or dive
in deep and learn how to work around it. Wrong choices if you ask me.

Another good example is nVidia drivers. The maintainers make some really
crappy decisions on how to manage the drivers and is in effect ruining it.
Unless, you don't care how things are going. Again too extreme.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.