Re: [SLUG] Open office: convert plain text to .doc

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Nov 13 2008 - 17:20:22 EST

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 02:30:21PM -0500, blee2@tampabay.rr.com wrote:

<snip>

> When I first click on a menu, it highlights, but noghting else happens.
> the mouse cursor still moves, but no clicks or text entry register.
> At that point I SSH in and start killing processes, then kill -9ing them.
> The screen stays the same, and I can still signal the processes, but I
> thinnk they've been removed from the "ps -ef" list.
>
> I've had this happen before on a previous debian install when trying to
> use certain programs. I think games that access graphics directly.

My wife has this happen from time to time on Debian. If X goes down in
some odd way, it typically doesn't release the screen. The machine
appears to not be responding, because the screen is just frozen. I
haven't tried typing "reboot" while that's going on to see if it will
take the commands. Even killing the console that launched X doesn't
appears to release the screen. And in fact, SSHing in and killing stuff
usually doesn't do it either. It usually requires a reboot.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster