Re: [SLUG] transparently-decompressing filesystem

From: Ron Youvan (ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Dec 04 2008 - 10:41:38 EST

>> I downloaded a bunch of PDBs (3D chemical models) from the nice folks at
>> wwdb.com and their rsync script.

> My understanding is that mc and many other file managers will
> automatically decompress a file on the fly when you click on the
> filename. Then you can click on the file-within-a-file you want to look
> at, to launch the application that understands that filetype. For
> example, you can click on a tarball (gzipped tar file) of PDFs, and the
> PDF filenames will all show up. Then you can select (click) any of the
> PDFs and xpdf will run to show you the PDF.

   You set this in mc's association menu. The pdb extension is typically
used when compressing for the palm platform, I have a "life drive" so I view
them frequently.
   BUT I don't know if there is a decompresser available other than "pay for it"
versions.

   BTW: we can make any text file into a compressed pdb file type, by loading
and then "saving AS pdb" using open office (using version 2.4 in LINUX+X-System)
and most likely other platforms and versions.
My "life drive" can view text as easily as pdb.

--
    Ron  KA4INM - Never hit a man with glasses.  Hit him with a baseball bat.