Re: [SLUG] audio levels

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Thu Dec 04 2008 - 11:13:50 EST

Eben King wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Dec 2008, Jonathan Brown wrote:
>
>> aumix is a good console-based one (i believe there is a gtk+ fe as well)
>> kmix (in the kdemultimedia package) should also have mic levels
>
> I installed aumix(-gtk), but I don't see a way to get it to show me
> the audio levels, either numerically or like a VU meter (either
> digital or analog-style). It appears to be just another mixer.

You need vumeter from gnome-media. KDE calls it as "vumeter -r"

Off an old system I have here:

:~ # rpm -qif /opt/gnome/bin/vumeter
Name : gnome-media Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version : 2.4.1.1 Vendor: SuSE Linux AG,
Nuernberg, Germany
Release : 40 Build Date: Wed Apr 7
02:45:23 2004
Install date: Thu Sep 23 12:59:02 2004 Build Host: tornrose.suse.de
Group : System/GUI/GNOME Source RPM:
gnome-media-2.4.1.1-40.src.rpm
Size : 4679105 License: GPL
Signature : DSA/SHA1, Wed Apr 7 02:47:32 2004, Key ID a84edae89c800aca
Packager : http://www.suse.de/feedback
Description :
This package contains multimedia programs for GNOME.

Documentation:

GNOME online help /usr/share/doc/packages/gnome

Mike Branda