[SLUG] non-ASCII characters vs xmms2

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Dec 17 2008 - 23:25:09 EST

My distro pushes xmms2, which is one of those MP3 players that maintains a
library and you do all your searches on the library. Good if you want to do
fancy things, but it and I don't get along.

Most of my MP3s (ripped from CDs I own) is orchestral (baroque / classical /
romantic), and a good fraction of that is by folks with non-ASCII characters
in their names (e.g. 'Chopin, Frédéric' and 'Dvorák, Antonín'). I use id3v2
to attach tags containing these guys to their music, xmms2 makes a note of
them, then it presents me with a list of all the authors.

I can enter the names into id3v2 in bash (in gnome-terminal) just fine, and
xmms2 can store them just fine (I have examples from before I installed a
new version of Ubuntu that are fine), but recent additions that should come
out 'Chopin, Frédéric' instead come out 'Chopin, Frédéric'. The former
looks correct and the latter looks wrong in gnome-terminal (UTF8), xterm
(LANG=en_US.UTF8) and in xmms2. I tried to do it over ssh and I couldn't
even type the accented characters. (Maybe that's a peculiarity of the
remote system however.)

Anyone know what's wrong, or a workaround?

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   royalty.mine.nu:81
A: Because it looks dumb and is hard to read.