[SLUG] firefox 3 for dummies...

From: Pamela J. Ashworth (webmail) (pashworth@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Jan 01 2009 - 23:13:39 EST

I recently discovered (did i mention this (here) already? I know i told someone) the playlist feature in youtube, and that firefox 3 was opening videos full screen in the same window they were not full screen in, while 2 was opening a new window.

I decided to try to upgrade firefox on my linux box (suse 10.2) to version 3.
YaST showed only version 2 (and also kept crying out for the installation discs, which I think are owned by my brother's former employer)

I tried the mozilla site and ended up with a bz2 (i think) which kde politely offereed to unzip. I let it.

Its been a while since I installed anything so I decided rather than digging books out of piles i would google for instructions.
a website not belonging to mozilla told me the firefox file which was in the firefox directory would run the program.

after some fiddling with flash or whatever adobe program i had to install to get firefox to notice it (using yast and rpms which I remembered how to install - yay), I eventually got it to work from the ...actually the file that ran firefox said it was a script (I miss file extensions!)

later I used the alt F2 and kde decided that I wanted my firefox to upgrade to 3 overall

the thing is - the entire firefox 3 directory is on the desktop of the user that uses the DVR. I know that's not where it should live, but I dont know where to move it, and what I might break if I try (i think Windows Registry has me spooked for life)

any suggestions? (Dennis' Linux book has been on the floor for months - I took a break to peek into Windows Networking and Server 2003 and then I just overloaded, and now I'm reading about surgical interns - not that I want to be one, I'm just tired)

I'm sure it will continue to work as long as I am "couch" but... I get a little anxious when things are in the wrong place - not that this machine is being backed up really at all. (not a good thing. but hey, at least its not using LVM this time, as it was last time a drive died)

--
Pam from Boston
Happily ever after means the show is really over.