Re: [SLUG] Minutes of the Meeting, 2009-02-10

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Wed Feb 11 2009 - 16:08:28 EST

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 12:59:33PM -0500, Dylan William Hardison wrote:

> Steve (and a few others) asked about a WYSIWYG HTML editor:
> The only one that anyone was aware of was: nvu. However, nvu is not
> maintained as such[1]. The original author has gone on to work on
> an as-yet unfinished project. Meanwhile, KompoZer is a maintained
> version of nvu[2].
>
> Peter "the Rock" was in search of a cross-platform text editor, but not
> into vi/vim or emacs. Suggestions range from:
>
> * Jed[3]
> * Jedit[4]
> * Not cross-platform: gedit[5], kate[6]

Jed's a very reasonable choice, there. I used to use Jed, but I finally
decided to take the plunge and learn Vim. (My fingers get lonely when
they have to leave the home row.) I get carpal tunnel just thinking
about the keystroke commands in Emacs. I'd have to bolt an additional
500G hard drive to my head just to remember them all. (Be nice, you
emacsers, I'm just teasing you. Feel free to reciprocate.)

Bluefish is an excellent editor for HTML, but is not WYSIWYG, and I
don't know if it's cross-platform.

I haven't used KompoZer, but Nvu was best-of-breed for Linux.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster