Re: [SLUG] Questions about FiOS...

From: blee2@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Mon Feb 16 2009 - 16:12:46 EST

Thus John A. Beach hast written on Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 01:29:15PM -0500, and, according to prophecy, it shall come to pass that:
> What's the deal with FIOS in Pinellas County? Are they ever going to
> install it?

I live in very North St. Pete (near the Gandy Bridge). Verizon came through
about 8 months ago now, dug up everything and burried cables and junction
boxes. There was more trenching on 9th and 4th streets. I think a
couple people in my neighborhood got FiOS, but the deals Verizon offered me
haven't been sweet enough.

A couple months later, Brighthouse sent a neighborhood representative door
to door to "make sure people were happy with their service." I told him I
was, but that if BH changed their policies (rate increases, changing DHCP
assignments frequently) I'd consider Verizon.

I've had BH for over 10 years now and have been happy with it in both
places I've lived. There were some issues with connection dropping at
3AM for the first few years I had it, but that hasn't been noticed in
a long time.