Re: [SLUG] Questions about FiOS...

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Mon Feb 16 2009 - 21:27:13 EST

On Saturday 14 February 2009 09:00:49 pm Robin 'Roblimo' Miller wrote:
> Does anyone have FiOS? If so, any problems with their wireless and
> Linux? And does their wireless router have Cat-5 ports for at least two
> computers, or do I need to add my own router/switch?
>
> We just moved and got Brighthouse, but the HD cable box/PVR is screwed
> up and they say they can't get our phone switched over for another week,
> at least, after promising "2 to 3 days" in the sales process.
>
> BTW, this is the second PVR - the one the installer put in first, no
> sound. My wife grabbed him on the way out and got an exchange, which had
> sound -- but soon started cutting in and out every 30 seconds or so;
> sort of like hitting "pause" all the time. Reboots and three calls to
> customer service (one of which left me forgotten on hold for over 20
> minutes) did not help. It's either wait for a tech Tuesday or take the
> box in for exchange Monday.
>
> I'm trying to decide whether to give Brighthouse a chance or just give
> up and sign that one-year contract with FiOS -- which, with the Set-top
> HD PVR box and all, comes to more like $140 than the advertised $99, so
> the two services are about the same price, total.

Hi Robin

Yes, have fios and works very well. Switched from DSL with Verizon. Much
faster. Don't use wireless so I can't say about that but it is set up for
that if I want to use it. Has four ports.

Amazing to watch their instrallation. Boring under sidewalks and driveways and
couldn't even tell they were there when they left. Very profesional. The box
is mounted on the outside of the house and they pick up the coax for inside
the house to the TV and computer etc. I would say that the picture quality is
better than Brighthouse. The DVR works to perfection but is a little different
from Brighthouse but easily learned. Am very pleased with the switch for both
computer and TV.

Bob S