Re: [SLUG] Accessing NAS

From: Dennis Devine, San Antonio (ddevine@sanantoniofla.com)
Date: Thu Feb 19 2009 - 20:08:11 EST

OK, Ken, Here' PC Mag's Encyclopedia Definition:*(2)* (*N*etwork *A*ttached
*S*torage) A specialized file
server<http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_term/0,2542,t=NAS&i=47631,00.asp#>
that
connects to the network. A NAS device contains a slimmed-down operating
system and a file system and processes only I/O requests by supporting the
popular file sharing protocols, primarily CIFS for Windows and NFS for Unix.

The NAS concept originated in the early 1990s for computer-aided-design
(CAD) and other applications that generated huge data files. File
servers<http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_term/0,2542,t=NAS&i=47631,00.asp#>with
full-blown operating systems have sometimes been called network attached
storage, but a true NAS can perform no task other than I/O.

So, you got me, but a Linux Workstation can be a NAS, but can a
NAS be a workstation. I'd say NO.

Just as a server to optimized to provide background services, you
can configure it to be a NAS. If your argument is to make it
mutually inclusive, than you fail to differentiate their defined
purposes. They all do I/O. I know a fella who made a
WRTG54 into a website storage device or NAS. Is a
router a NAS? I agree that its role dictates what a device
is, but there are some standard parameters.

Here's a link to an embeded windows NAS unit
http://www.windowsfordevices.com/news/NS8369749627.html

There might be a NAS using Mobile Windows, but what for?
The Penguin rules!