Re: [SLUG] got a popup on Firefox 3, Suse 10.2

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 06 2009 - 21:19:09 EDT

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 6:28 PM, Richard Smoot <rsmoot@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

>> If you've got FF already blocking popups, it was probably invoked through
>> Flash.  There's a setting under about:config that disallows that... looks
>> like privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins.  Also using things that disallow
>> Javascript (such as Noscript) and Flash (such as Flashblock) from arbitrary
>> sites is a good idea.  I sometimes have to disable Flashblock to get some
>> sites to work; you get what you pay for.  On the whole, it's a very good
>> thing -- no more moving or interactive ads.
> This kind of behavior is a lot worse in Windows. In Linux with FireFox,
> usually just closing Firefox and restarting FireFox gets rid of it.
> In Windows I sometime had to do the three fingered salute to get rid of it.
> Stay away from web sites doing this.
> I do have a site I like were I will get a big Netflix popup which easily
> closes and does not come back during that session. This is the only one
> of these new popups I,ve seen.
> If I were still using Windows on the web, I certainly would not use an
> AntiVirus that behaved this way.

There are some sites that I go to that have some silly little screen that
migrates across the screen to the center, usually it either wants to have
you answer some questions or look at something, Discovery.com is one
that comes to mind, but several other sites that I go to do this just can not
remember which ones they are. They are the only ones that appear to
sneak through.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;