Re: [SLUG] ESATA and ExpressCard

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Apr 28 2009 - 10:33:34 EDT

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009, David S. wrote:

> Paul Bransford wrote:
>> Eben King wrote:
>>
> Thanks Paul and Eben for your responses. I did do a little research and two
> products kept popping up.
>
> LaCie has a SATA II ExpressCard 34 in which in which they say they support
> Linux (http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=11033)
>
> SIIG has one that someone reviewed on Newegg that says it works with Linux
> SC-SAE512-S1 eSATA II ExpressCard/54.
> (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16839150001)
>
> My computer can handle either the 34 or 54. Is there a big difference between
> the two?
>
> Does anyone know much about either company?

Don't take their word for it. Take the word of someone who's actually done
it. Their "supports Linux" may be a distro-specific hack allowing slow
access through a binary-only program. Technically at that point it
"supports Linux".

--
-eben      QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP      royalty.mine.nu:81

A neutrino enters a bar. The bartender asks "Can I get you anything?" The neutrino replies "Nope, just passing through." -- rdu_voyager on Fark ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.