Re: [SLUG] DOD level clean question

From: Paul Bransford (draeath@gmail.com)
Date: Thu May 21 2009 - 19:24:36 EDT

William Coulter wrote:
> I did find this but I was not able to get it to run on a SATA drive. It
> would fail.
>
> Thanks
>
> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 7:55 AM, Ken Elliott <kelliott11@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> You are looking for Darik’s Boot and Nuke – DBAN.
>>

>> http://www.dban.org/download
>>

>> Ken Elliott

Set your SATA controller to LEGACY mode in the BIOS, if only for the
duration of the dban.

Alternatively, another program that can do a good quality wipe is
'shred' - since it can use any block device available under the kernel
you boot, it should have no issue with SATA.

http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/html_node/shred-invocation.html