Re: [SLUG] Bios Compaq Deskpro 4000

From: Richard Smoot (rsmoot@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jun 03 2009 - 20:21:21 EDT

On Wednesday 03 June 2009 16:44, chris lee wrote:
> bit more searching
>
> F1
> F2
> F3
> F10
> esc
> del
> ctrl+alt+esc
> ctrl+alt+s
> ctrl+alt+ins
> ctrl+alt+del
F10 is the way to access the Bios on this machine.
The trouble is the software F10 is supposed invoke is not on the hard drive.
I think this machine came w Win95 and when Win98SE was installed it wiped
the hidden Compaq Diagnostics partition.
No problem until I tried to change the hardware. I changed the Cd drive from
CS to M and it became inoperative. I made the 10GB drive master when I put
it on the second Ide plug. It doesn't work.
You can not access the actual bios chip without the Compaq Utilities.
Has anybody been able to pull the original drive - out put a bigger drive in
and install Linux in any of the Compaqs with this lame bios system?