Re: [SLUG] I can't get out of KDE

From: Paul Bransford (draeath@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jun 18 2009 - 00:51:22 EDT

Pamela J. Ashworth (webmail) wrote:
> well, actually, around 6 my Suse 10.2 machine hit a load average of 26.something
> I rebooted, which went okay (after all, i couldn't kill the DVR recordings that weren't recording anyway)
> but when it came back up, there was something on my desktop I don't want on boot.
>
> providing that someone didn't stick deluge into some "startup group" I don't know about, can I get it to not start with KDE.
> I thought perhaps, killing KDE cleanly while the program was not running might work, but I can't figure out how to log off KDE.
> Cleanly. (I mean, not using Control Alt Backspace)
>
> There is a logoff option in the Leave Menu, but when i click it, it says i will log out in 30 seconds - and then 30 seconds later...
> the dialog box goes away
> unfortunately, KDE does not. (both when I confirm i want to log out, and when i just let it sit there for 30 seconds)
>
> I'm told there is not a command to cleanly shutdown KDE from a Konsole window...
>
> anyone have anything else?
>
> I just want to
> not reboot,
> not rip KDE out from under me as if it were an emergency, but just close KDE and then log back on to it as the same user.
>

> --
> Pam from Boston
> Support Fun TV - Save Chuck!
> http://chucktv.net/
> Scott Bakula News www.bakulanews.com

Log in through the console, remove executable permissions from the
offending program, and try again.

Commands of use:

which COMMAND
 - find the abolute path of the program COMMAND
chmod -x /path/to/COMMAND
 - remove executable permissions. you may need to be root, or add "sudo"
to the front

After you are able to enter and exit KDE cleanly, try adding the
executable permissions back with +x (instead of -x)