RE: [SLUG] Open Source handwriting recognition application?

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott11@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Mon Jun 22 2009 - 14:54:52 EDT

>> " I'm confused by your response. If you map an input device like the
tablet to the mouse and use ajax to capture only mouse input from the
client. Wouldn't it be easy to store all serverside?"

Pointing devices either send a stream of x/y deltas, or absolute x/y
position. So the resolution will dictate how much data there is to process.
It could be quite a lot. If you package that data as XML, it is quite bulky
(as opposed to binary data). Now the server has to take that data, decode
it and figure out what was written. All that just to get a few pieces of
text. Add 1000 client and you have imposed quite a load to the server.

Add to that the fact the a mouse doesn't do a good job with handwriting and
you have a system that will have a difficult time satisfying the user.

So if we solve the mouse problem by using a Wacom tablet, we now impose a
limitation to the system. If this is a private system, where we can dictate
hardware, then we can easily dictate the use of a local app. Use of a Wacom
tablet and a local app means 1000 users will have the power of 1000 PCs,
each dedicated to resolving the handwriting-to-text transformation. This
scales quite well and simplifies the server side.

Is any of this a problem? That is why I asked what the input devices would
be and other questions. Without that data, we will all be guessing.

Ken Elliott