Re: [SLUG] replacement for MS Project

From: Christian Brink (cbrink@christianbrink.com)
Date: Mon Jun 29 2009 - 11:49:05 EDT

William Coulter wrote:
> A friend asked me the other day if there was something that was open
> source that would replace MS Projects. I have no idea what MS
> Projects is or what it does.

I've done a lot of research on this and used various products, and right
now I run M$ Project in VirtualBox.

The main issues are resource leveling, earned value analysis and other
nice tools.

The products I tested/used were. Gnome Tracker( formally MR Project ),
TaskJuggler, KPlato, and OpenProj.

The closest in functionality is TaskJuggler. It does resource leveling.
It is text based entry which I suppose would turn people off. I used it
for 6 months before going back to M$ Project. I stopped using it mainly
because it is missing the ability to do a couple standard tracking
reports. Don't get me wrong it's good, it does a lot, and it's flexible.
But it does not have a few key features that, if you are used to M$
Proj, I would think you would find it lacking.

As for OpenProj(community) and Gnome Tracker they don't have resource
leveling and that is basically a no-go for any project manager.

The most recent beta of KPlato has resource leveling but overall it is a
little buggy. It does not have some features that M$ Proj has, and it
does have some usability issues but it does have a workable GUI.

--
Christian Brink
cbrink@christianbrink.com