Re: [SLUG] PHP books and web sites

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Fri Jul 03 2009 - 23:44:11 EDT

On Fri, Jul 03, 2009 at 12:57:03PM -0400, Scott Grizzard wrote:

> Though Paul is, without a doubt, a greater authority than me on the
> subject, you might want to start by using an existing framework that
> forces controller-model-view programming.
>
> By using one of the frameworks, it takes some of the "architecture"
> decisions out of your hands, forcing you to practice "good" php
> programming design, letting you focus on learning the in and outs of the
> language while doing something useful.
>
> Then, when you program your own programs from scratch, you will be
> practicing "good architecture" by default.
>
> I recommend CodeIgniter (http://codeigniter.com/), since it has a nice
> BSD style license, and excellent online help.

I agree CodeIgniter is the simplest framework and well-documented. Not
sure I agree he should dive in to a framework right off. Even using CI,
he'll still need to be able to code PHP.

Even if he doesn't use CI, the documentation they offer on MVC and other
concepts implemented by CodeIgniter would be worth looking over. That
sort of stuff isn't covered in the PHP books I mentioned.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster