Re: [SLUG] Multiple Distros Shared home?

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Jul 13 2009 - 13:07:05 EDT

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009, Richard Smoot wrote:

> On Sunday 12 July 2009 09:27, Chuck Hast wrote:
>> Folks,
>> On my netbook, I have plenty of space (500G) I already have Ubuntu on
>> this machine, people ask me so many questions about it I figured I would
>> add Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Edubuntu as I figured seeing the real thing is
>> better than just a description. Besides on these long trips it gives me
>> more things to work with. My question is, can all of them share the same
>> home directory, I figure were it not for the fact that all of the user
>> setup stuff is stuffed in there it would not be a problem but since all of
>> the setup for the user is in home, will they get in a pissing contest over
>> who owns what?
>
> They can all share the same swap partition. I have had three distros on one
> HD.

As long as you don't try to have one suspended and another active (or the
suspend partition is not the default), that's correct.

> If you easily want to share data, save it to a FAT 32 partition. There is no
> problem for them to all be able to read and write to it.

Linux can read and write to NTFS safely now too. It's more efficient on
larger filesystems and in fact supports ones >8GiB, whereas FAT32 doesn't.
But if none of them is Windows, why not use a Linuxy filesystem like ext3?
Just be mindful of ownership, or synchronize UIDs/GIDs across distros.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   http://royalty.mine.nu:81
               "God does not play dice" -- Einstein