Re: [SLUG] firefox is seriously dragging

From: blee2@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Thu Jul 16 2009 - 17:33:18 EDT

Thus Paul Bransford hast written on Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 04:44:54PM -0400, and, according to prophecy, it shall come to pass that:
> Eben King wrote:
> > Anyhow, since then, it's been exceedingly slow. I'm talking minutes to
> > load one tab and I have probably a hundred tabs. Every few minutes it
> > throws up the "script has stopped responding" dialog. That box doesn't

> You are seriously complaining about the browser being slow when you load
> over 100 tabs into it? > Seriously?
> Dare I ask why you need all that content loaded and waiting in RAM? What
> would you have done before tabs? I think this borders on abusing a feature.

I'm going to stand up here with Eben and suppport his use of 100 tabs.
I do the same. I admit to being an ab-user. And FireFox (IceWeasel)
being slow...pretty much all the time. It's just somehting we have to
deal with.
Certain photo galleries, for example, warrant opening images in multiple
tabs. And I have a bunch of articles (Wired, Onion, Register, /.) that
I've opened and hope to read....some day.

Eben,
I'm running Debian 4 with IceWeasel 2.something and a tab-saver plugin.
Most of the problems and insane lag that I encounter are related to
java. Sometimes it crashes. I've got the NoScript AddOn added on and
I know that helps a LOT; I only allow java on trusted sites that I know
I want running java RIGHT NOW. I.e. "Temporarily allow this site to
execute script." AND I've found that when I have more than 100 tabs
open, I get even more flakey things happening, like ctrl-T opening a new
window instead of a new tab.

It sounds to me like you have a a problem with java too. Maybe there's
a bunch of tabs open to one site (CNN? Wired?) and have allowed java
to run across the board, and FF just can't manage.

When my IceWeasel restarts, I'm prompted with a dialog that asks me
which crashed session I want to run and gives me an opportunity to
close tabs before it starts.

I recommend that you try to close the most recent tabs you opened.
This may mean painfully slogging through a thrashing firefox and hitting
ctrl-w blindly.

Also, one trick that I use is to periodically bookmark all open tabs.
Thet way if FF crashes catastrophically, I can reopen from a recent
saved state.

Have you tried restarting FF and making it NOT restore your tabs? The
list is probably saved somewhere and you could open them one at a time
until things break.