Re: [SLUG] No Post screen

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Jul 20 2009 - 12:03:21 EDT

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009, Bob Stia wrote:

> This has been going on for years but now I have to fix it. Every day when I
> boot up my machine (I have a toggle on a surge protector which fires
> everything up. monitor, printer, etc, and supplies power to the computer
> itself) However, the computer itself needs to be started independently by
> pushing a button on the front of the case. Everytime I do this i get a blank
> black screen. Nothing - nada. I have to push the button and hold it until the
> computer shuts down, re-push the button to start the computer again. This
> time the POST starts and the computer boots normally. Happens every time.

Is the monitor still in "sleep" mode until the OS starts to load? Or
has it woken up fully and is actually displaying an all-black signal?
If it's still sleeping, what I suspect is this:

computer: power | POST | OS | reboot POST | OS | off
monitor: power | sleep | on ------------------ | off

Or, it's so slow at warming up (is it a CRT?) that the POST passes before
it finishes. (I used to have a monitor like that.)

--
-eben     QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP     http://royalty.mine.nu:81
An ASCII character walks into a bar and orders a double. "Having a bad