Re: [SLUG] interesting new game for linux

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Jul 21 2009 - 16:43:26 EDT

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009, Bob Stia wrote:

> On Monday 20 July 2009 07:49:16 Paul Bransford wrote:
>
> ....<snip a whole bunch>.......

>>> Nope. I got the same error, and my xorg.conf shows modelines which
>>> include this resolution. I didn't find anything obvious on their FAQ, so
>>> I quit. Since they encourage you to download the demo first to see if it
>>> would run on your machine, I did that, which is where I got the errors.
>>> Haven't downloaded/paid for the game, since the demo wouldn't work.
>>>
>>> Paul
>>
>> Shoot I used to get these problems. I think it has to do with trying to
>> grab 32-bit color? I do know that the games start for me without issue.
>>
>> What kind of video card do you both have?
> I have a Nvidia FX5700 - 3D enabled. But unlike Paul I do not have an 800x600
> modeline in either xorg.conf or XF86Conf. By the way which of those are the
> default?

Got me. I only have xorg.conf. Change one and see if X freaks out. I
suspect xorg.conf is the default since the software is Xorg and not XFree86
(unless you're doing something hinky).

There's a line in /var/log/Xorg.?.log :

(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"

which would tell you for sure, since you have both..

--
A Higgs boson is sitting at the bar when the phone rings. He says to
the bartender "If that's a physicist, tell him you've not seen me."