Re: [SLUG] Strange Caps behavior

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Aug 11 2009 - 00:57:14 EDT

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009, draeath wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 11:35 PM, Bob Stia<rnr@sanctum.com> wrote:
>> Hello Sluggers,
>>
>> Wondering is anyone else has seen this stange behavior.
>>
>> While I am in the middle of typing a document the fonts will suddenly go from
>> lower case to capital, and NO I don't accidentlt hit the "Caps" key, and
>> there is no indicator light on the keyboard. Then I must hit the "Caps" key,
>> get the indicator light and the fonts are displayed as lower case. The shift
>> key will work but it is now opposite.
>>
>> From that point on every app, kwrite, Firefox, a teminal etc. will follow this
>> strange behavior. Cannot get out of it until I kill the session. On starting
>> a new session all is well again....until... it does it again.
>>
>> Anybody have any wild ideas about this ???

> Are you using xmodmap at all? It's possible some key or key
> combination got assigned to capslock's function?

'xmodmap -pm | grep Caps_Lock' should tell you what's mapped to Caps_Lock.
1st column is the key name. "lock" is the key normally bound to it. You
can also try pressing shift-q, ctrl-q, alt-q, winkey-q, rightmousekey-q,
shift-w, etc through each printing key to see when it happens. I hope that
finds it, because there are 10 2-modifier and 10 3-modifier combinations for
each key, I would guess something with the winkey as it's something you
might not hit on purpose.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   royalty.mine.nu:81

This message was created using recycled electrons. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.