Re: [SLUG] Unix password hashes

From: Scott Grizzard (scott@scottgrizzard.com)
Date: Thu Aug 20 2009 - 13:13:17 EDT

------Original Message------
From: Eben King
To: slug@nks.net
ReplyTo: slug@nks.net
Subject: Re: [SLUG] Unix password hashes
Sent: Aug 20, 2009 11:52 AM

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009, Dylan William Hardison wrote:

> Anyone know where the password field of /etc/shadow is documented? I'm
> using libnss-extrausers and I need to be able to generate correct
> hashes for my supplemental shadow file.

You can reverse-engineer a lot of it by adding a user and filling in all the
slots, e.g. "office number". As for official documentation, no idea. Try
the source to /bin/login.

--
I firmly believed we should not march into Baghdad ...To occupy Iraq
would instantly shatter our coalition, turning the whole Arab world

- Scott Grizzard scott@scottgrizzard.com http://www.scottgrizzard.com/