Re: [SLUG] LP/cassette -> file conversions

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Thu Sep 03 2009 - 00:30:26 EDT

On Wed, 2 Sep 2009, thor wrote:

> Eben King wrote on Monday, August 31, 2009, 12:39 PM:

>> I'm looking at something like
>>
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ170320197287
>>
>> Are there any glitches with compatibility?  Is that a
>> decent price for a phono preamp (which is all I really need,
>> since my sound card has a line in).  That is, after I
>> find or fix a phonograph and cassete deck.

> I use/have used an old turntable/cassette deck (line in) to a decent sound
> card and gramofile.
>
> gramofile - Transfer sound from gramophone records to CD
>
> IIRC - I also used a mixer (physical) and software to clean up
> (click,hiss&pop) the recording.

What SW?

> worked good enough

Now that that moment of madness has passed, I realize that my sound card
(SB Live! something) has a line in, so I can connect any old cassette deck
direcly. For phonographs, I need to find/borrow a working player and a
preamp (preferably one that's battery-powered to minimize hum). At one time
I had a working phono, but it was very noisy (as in it transmitted
environmental vibrations to the needle).

--
The mnky gibbering and screeching used to keep me up at night, although
in the lst week or so it's prtty mch tailed off to nthng. The smell has