[SLUG] Of Firewire and Video

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Sep 05 2009 - 18:01:22 EDT

Have any of you done any work with firewire cameras and Linux? I have
some of these cameras, I can see great video (a Basler camera produces
great video) using Coriander, but I need to get that video into apps that
look for it as a /dev/video device (/dev/video0). I have tried to in one way
or another install vloopback on my machine, but to no avail. I have gone
to the web site and downloaded the tar ball, put it on the machine and then
done the 'make', but that tosses a error, I found a RPM installed the RPM
but still no vloopback, I seem some bits and pieces but not the secrete code.

Coriander has a tool that will allow the video stream to be directed to vloop-
back, which then looks like a /dev/video device to the other application.

I am running SuSE 11.1 and just would like to get the fw cam able to put
video in the usual group of suspects using /dev/video0.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;