Re: [SLUG] Disk drops off line

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Sep 06 2009 - 19:19:11 EDT

On Sun, 6 Sep 2009, Chuck Hast wrote:

> Folks, I have one of these outboard 1.5TB HD's which I use as a portable
> video library. I have noticed that when the disk is plugged into a
> machine, but there is no activity on it after some period of time it
> disappears off of the list of mounted disk. The disk is a Seagate
> FreeAgent 1.5 TB disk, I have tested it out on different USB ports and it
> still does the same thing. Also appear to do it on both a SuSE 11.1
> machine and two Ubuntu 9.04 machines. As long as I either keep a file
> manager open on it or am pulling video from it it will stay on line, but
> if I close everything out, it will after a while drop out. The machine may
> still show it as mounted, but as soon as you click on the icon it
> disappears. The thing is formated in NTFS, but all of my machines appear
> to read it just fine. Just needs to be kept active to keep it on line.

Sure it's not doing something rude like powering down unexpectedly?

First hit, googling |seagate freeagent linux|:

http://engadget.com/2007/12/07/seagate-freeagent-drives-not-down-with-linux/

--
A Higgs boson is sitting at the bar when the phone rings. He says to
the bartender "If that's a physicist, tell him you've not seen me."