Re: [SLUG] resolution will not save

From: Pete Theisen (petetheisen@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Sep 15 2009 - 23:42:18 EDT

Paul M Foster wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 02:58:33PM -0400, Pete Theisen wrote:
>
>> steve szmidt wrote:

>>> Just give root a password and you can login as root in a shell or
>> in terminal
>>> mode.
>>>
>>> sudo passwd
>>>
>>> if I remember correctly.
>>>
>> Hi Steve,
>>
>> Won't save the video configuration no matter what. If you reboot you are
>> back to whatever the default is.
>
> Pete, there's virtually no possible way you could edit the proper config
> file with the proper permissions and have X *not* respond upon restart.

Hi Paul,

I have a feeling that the people who think it is possible haven't used
Ubuntu in a while. They have the root password set to a hash. In order
to change it to something you would know you would have to know the hash
and they won't tell you what it is.

You can sudo to most things using your own password, but not this Nvidia
X-server settings thing. You can get it set the way you want it using
the GUI, but you can't save it or copy it.

If you use Envy, it reboots to a state where you can use the GUI to
reset your x-server the way you want it, but save it? Nope.

--
Regards,

Pete http://pete-theisen.com/ http://elect-pete-theisen.com/ ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.