Re: [SLUG] Unwanted Yahoo groups

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Sep 28 2009 - 07:21:12 EDT

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 21:51, Paul M Foster <paulf@quillandmouse.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 03:13:43PM -0400, Chuck Hast wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>> I have been inundated with non-requested yahoo groups signups, here is
>> the latest one:
>>

>> I've added you to my ctrxcynyf group at Yahoo! Groups, a free,
>> easy-to-use service. Yahoo! Groups makes it easy to send and receive
>> group messages, coordinate events, share photos and files, and more.
>>

>> The first one I disregarded thinking it would go away, but then I started
>> getting these group garbage e-mails, I went to the yahoo abuse page
>> and filed on it, got the obligatory, "we respect your rights etc ad nauseum"
>> e-mail, and forgot  about it until a few days later when I got another one,
>> again I went through the same process, and again the same e-mail, then
>> the cycle repeats again and again, how do you get rid of these things??
>>
>> Everyone of them is a nonsense group name, not a one of them makes
>> sense, it appears that it maybe some other language, but I am not sure
>> what to make of it, but it is very frustrating, I have marked them as spam
>> but new ones come in about every 2-3 days.
>
> I have to wonder if you're *actually* being added to a group. For
> example, on Facebook, you make a friend request, and the person has to
> acknowledge it to actually become your "friend". Sounds pretty nutty
> that Yahoo would allow someone to randomly add someone else to their
> group. This is something that would automatically lead to abuse.
> (However, I have to say that under Majordomo I can add anyone I like to
> the SLUG lists, whether they want to be here or not. But then again,
> we're not Yahoo.)

The first time I just disregarded it cause I figured that I would have to go to
some page and confirm it, but the next thing I know I am getting this flood
of nonsense e-mails from this yahoo group, so I learned at that point that
I better do something else. At least by going to the complaint page and filing
it seems to stop that one, but in a few days there will be another one...

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;