[SLUG] installation

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Oct 06 2009 - 15:28:07 EDT

In a while (days/weeks) I'll build a machine.[1] It'll have USB ports and
presumably the ability to boot from a USB hard drive (which I have) but it
probably won't have a {C,DV}D drive and I don't have a USB {C,DV]D drive.
So: what do I need to do to the USB hard drive besides make it bootable to
allow installing some flavor of Linux from it? Or will it be easier to yank
out the new machine's hard drive (actually an IDE->CF adapter) and take it
to a machine that _does_ have an optical drive? If I do that I foresee
problems in naming drives.

Plus, it's a 16G card. Yeah, don't use swap, I know. I either need to use
X or some console mp3 player with large enough type to read from across the
room. I would prefer not to use X if I can avoid it. Resource hog, etc.
Any suggestions?

[1] A fanless mini-ITX machine sequestered in a tin (like once held cookies
     or popcorn).

--
-eben      QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP      http://royalty.mine.nu:81
"It can be shown that for any nutty theory, beyond-the-fringe political