[SLUG] VLC abends on video

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Oct 11 2009 - 20:22:09 EDT

Folks,
I am trying to figure out what is going on here. I set up a machine to do
some video so as to be able to free up my Lenovo Netbook, which I have
been using to watch some video on the TV. The Netbook has Ubuntu 9.04
installed and works perfectly, but when I try to do the same thing on a
HP d530 sff VLC abends, same goes for movie player . Here is what I get
when I run VLC in a CLI.

[????????] x11 video output error: X11 request 132.19 failed with error code 11:
 BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
X Error of failed request: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request: 132 (XVideo)
  Minor opcode of failed request: 19 ()
  Serial number of failed request: 81
kp4djt@moviebox:~$

I have set up several Ubuntu boxes. none of them give me this error.
Here is what I get when I try to view a movie with Totem
The program 'totem' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)'.
  (Details: serial 91 error_code 11 request_code 132 minor_code 19)
kp4djt@moviebox:~$

Any ideas.
The machine is a HP d530 SFF, P4 @ 2.68Ghz, video is Intel 865G. 1G ram
I am running Ubuntu 9.04 it has done all of the latest updates.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;