Re: [SLUG] Verizon FiOS and DynDNS

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 13 2009 - 13:54:02 EDT

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 12:07, Paul M Foster <paulf@quillandmouse.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 11:52:51AM -0400, Chuck Hast wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

>> Thanks Eban. I will be testing it out soon. He lives next door to me so I am
>> going to add his two cameras to my system, it is open and viewable:
>>
>> www.wchast.com/zm
>> Login = guest
>> passwd = guest
>
> Gentle breeze on your porch today, I see. ;-}

Yes but it is hot, feels like a furnace... So far it appears that if port 80 is
blocked I can get around it by moving to another port, will just have to
explain to my neighbor about appending the correct port number to the
address. Sure seems that these ISP's could do better than that, all he
wants to do is check his security cams on his home, but officially he
would have to subscribe to a SOHO service in order to do so that is like
telling people that they will have to subscribe to a commercial telco line
for their alarm system, or to use TiVo or any other incoming service that
you may need in order to operate your home. These people need to grow
up. Ok I could see them charging a small additional charge for the two way
service, but not requiring people to double or triple their network access
for a non-commercial application.

I am running ZoneMinder here, works quite well, I am trying to do a bit of
selling of security cam systems built around ZoneMinder, it is a nice system
and of course it runs on a LAMP server.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;