Re: [SLUG] Wow ... look at the list of speakers

From: Dylan William Hardison (dylan@hardison.net)
Date: Wed Oct 14 2009 - 18:05:43 EDT

On Wednesday, October 14, 2009 at 10:37AM -0400, Vernon Singleton wrote:
> Just wanted you folks to see the list of speakers:
> http://floridalinuxshow.com/
>
> Personally I'm already excited about several of the speakers, but just
> to quickly point out a couple of folks ... these two guys:
>
> http://www.floridalinuxshow.com/index.php?pr=Kurt_Von_Finck
>
> Kurt apparently will be telling us about the fully free drop-in
> replacement for MySQL which forked after Monty went over to work for
> Sun ... apparently Monty was not happy about what they were going to
> do with MySQL, and so Maria DB was born immediately ... and I've heard
> it has nicer features than MySQL now. Hoping to learn more about all
> that.

Does it support the relational model now? ;)

> The folks in Orlando are planning to set up a booth at the show with
> media for attendees to get their favorite distros. It would be
> disgraceful if the SLUG did not similarly follow the tradition of
> fanning the never ending flames of the distro wars in the Linux
> community. So we need to at least show up and whine loudly about
> whatever distros they chose, if not bring our own media to the battle
> front! If anyone in the SLUG has any questions about the Florida
> Linux Show, feel free to
> give me a call.

Myself, Luke (whose last name I forget, he's akio on #slug.fl though),
Bill Davison (the tampa meeting coordinator), and at least a few others
are coming. I never got in touch with Joe about organizing anything on
slug's behalf, because my $work was pretty much insane in late august / early sept. :-(

But I'll show up, so the Debian contingent will be well-represented.

--
"355/113 -- Not the famous irrational number PI, but an incredible simulation!"
-