Re: [SLUG] Involuntary Reboot

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Nov 17 2009 - 12:46:07 EST

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009, Ron Youvan wrote:

>> My Ubuntu 9.04 box just rebooted all by itself. There had not been a power
>> interruption and if there had been I have a UPS. What's up with that, are
>> we going Great Satan auto-update?
>
>> I *never* reboot.
>
> In the reverse order, why do you never reboot?
> Are you out to enrich the power company?

I never reboot because doing so can seem to cure problems that cause
slow-growing damage, like /tmp filling up. I always make sure my solutions
do survive a reboot, since it happens occasionally (47 days ago for
example).

> One possibility it rebooted and a reason to occasionally (regularly) reboot
> is loss of data integrity (in RAM) from cosmic radiation. Unless your box
> uses "error detecting and correcting" RAM cosmic radiation collisions cause
> RAM bits to be altered one little bit here and later a bit there.

I can't find any data correlating altitude and sufficiently-strong cosmic
rays, but my impression is at my altitde (~35' above MSL) they aren't a big
concern. IIRC Mr. Youvan lives in Pinellas which is relatively flat and
therefore gets about the same incidence of cosmic rays I do.

--
-eben    QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP    royalty.mine.nu:81
Answer: two spoonfuls in my cup, please.