Re: [SLUG] Involuntary Reboot

From: Pete Theisen (petetheisen@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Nov 17 2009 - 14:37:46 EST

Eben King wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009, Pete Theisen wrote:
>
>> Pete Theisen wrote:

>>> Now that it is back up, it is making little "woo - woo - woo" sounds.
>>> Fan bearing?
>>
>> With the cover off, sound seems to be coming from the power supply.
>> Air is moving, but it is kind of warm in there, just shy of 90
>> measured with a meat thermometer next to the CPU (Intel P IV). I
>> wonder if it overheated?
>
> If it rebooted and then when it came back up you heard fan noises from
> the PS, I'm guessing the noisy fan (which is in the PS) stalled, which
> hurts in several ways:
> - it makes heat (P=IV, where P=power, I=current through the fan, and
> V=voltage of the fan, usually 12)
> - the blades and hub block airflow from convection
> - the system was designed for forced air, not passive cooling
>
> So when the fan failed and components heated up, the PS began producing
> "off" voltages; eventually they were too far off and the motherboard
> rebooted. When the system came back up, the fan spun up but will
> eventually fail again.
>
> If the failed fan is around 130mm, +/- joined and rotation sensor alone,
> I have one. Else, you're on your own. My recommendation is to replace
> the fan; if you can't do that, then replace the PS. You'll pay a lot
> less (like 3x less) at Newegg than you will at a brick&mortar store for
> pretty much the same product.

Hi Eben,

Thanks. I am going to try a drop of oil on the bearing first. While I
have it apart I will measure it. I don't know its size - looks like
about 75 mm, actually.

--
Regards,

Pete http://pete-theisen.com/ http://elect-pete-theisen.com/ ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.