Re: [SLUG] Involuntary Reboot

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Nov 17 2009 - 19:30:56 EST

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009, Pete Theisen wrote:

> Pete Theisen wrote:

>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> Dang, when I got it open I discovered that it was almost new! 03 04 03! Why
>> it might still *be* under warranty! No matter, one drop of oil in the right
>> spot fixed the little noise.
>
> Or *did* it? I fired up my browser after I sent the email and the little
> noise was back!

The problem with oil that's thin enough to flow into the squeaking spot is
it's thin enough to flow back out again. Fans are cheap, so if it's a 12GDC
fan (use a voltmeter) with a standard hole spacing, you may be able to get
an off-the-shelf replacement.

--
-eben      QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP      royalty.mine.nu:81
A. A Top Poster                       \  http://www.fscked.co.uk/