Re: [SLUG] Install Win7 on Ubuntu system

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Dec 01 2009 - 18:55:39 EST

On Tue, 1 Dec 2009, Chuck Hast wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 18:17, Eben King <eben01@verizon.net> wrote:
>> On Tue, 1 Dec 2009, Chuck Hast wrote:
>>
>>> I have always put Linux on a machine that already had windows on it, now
>>> I am going to do the reverse, any guidance?/ I am sure it is going to
>>> want to blow the MBR away and who knows what else... I am probably going
>>> to shrink that 83G to something smaller, I only need this windows part
>>> to run the scope software, I tried it in Wine but it wants .net 3.5 and
>>> that does not fly.
>>
>> But if you really, really want a dual boot box (I've done it that way too),
>> then have the partition already made for W* to install onto, so you don't
>> have to mess with their partitioner and risk wiping out your Linux
>> installation.  And yeah, W* wipes your MBR without asking, so have an
>> alternate way of booting your machine to reinstall grub.  And add W* to
>> grub's menu.
>>
> I fear that the horsepower of the netbook is not quite enough for a vmware
> VM. I plan to install it in the last partition, I am going to go in and
> change the FS to NTFS so I can install it on there.

Might have to change the type listed in fdisk from "83 Linux" (or whatever
it is now) to "7 HPFS/NTFS". I don't know if changing the filesystem is
enough. But at any rate, mkfs is unnecessary as you can format during
installation (at least you could in XP and prior versions).

> That should work I
> guess I will use my Ubuntu on a stick and recover the MBR and set it up to
> aim where it does now.
>
> sda1 = 9G boot for Unbuntu 9.10
> sda2 = extended
> sda5 = swap
> sda6 = 86.6G Holds Ubuntu home/user_directories
> sda7 = 83.2G Want to install Win7 here
>
> I want to put the FS on sda7, the last one on the list.

Check the size of sda7, and make sure the partition it installs onto is 83.2
GB or whatever it reports in bytes. The numbering might be different, and
it'd really suck to stomp on the wrong partition.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   royalty.mine.nu:81

And we never failed to fail / It was the easiest thing to do -- CSN