[SLUG] 8.04 LTS vs hernel headers

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Sat Dec 12 2009 - 21:38:33 EST

OK. I went ahead and installed Ubuntu 8.04 LTS on the laptop. Still trying
to get the webcam to work. (I got it to work in 9.10 with VLC, but
apparently 8.04's kernel (2.6.24) doesn't have the right driver.)

So I have the driver here, all I need is the kernel headers so I can compile
the driver. "uname -r" says 2.6.24-26-generic . So I look in Synaptic and
see that linux-image-2.6.24-26-generic and linux-headers-2.6.24-26-generic
are installed. Sounds good. I'm running the installed kernel and I have is
headers.

Bun, when I try to configure the kernel, the first error I get is

In file included from scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:24: scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/dialog.h:32:20: error: curses.h: No such file or directory

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-481180.html (among other sites)
leads me to believe I need to install headers that match my kernel. What
gives?

--
I firmly believed we should not march into Baghdad ...To occupy Iraq
would instantly shatter our coalition, turning the whole Arab world