Re: [SLUG] Firefox will only download mp4 files

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jan 18 2010 - 11:51:09 EST

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 11:10, Chuck Hast <wchast@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 14:01, Eben King <eben01@verizon.net> wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Jan 2010, Chuck Hast wrote:
>

>> Yeah, there doesn't seem to be a way to add a file type using that dialog.
>> Somehow I got an entry for mp4 (actually two of them, one that says "use
>> mplayer" and one that says "always ask"... hmm...) so I looked at the file
>> ~/.mozilla/firefox/<random-looking-string>/mimeTypes.rdf and found these
>> entries mentioning video/mp4:
>>
> --------------------------------- Quote clipped for BW reduction
> I found what you found, I did find this at the end of the file:
>
> ------------------------------------------Begin text clip insert
> --------------------------------------
>
>  </RDF:Description>
>  <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:externalApplication:video/mp4"
>                   NC:prettyName="vlc"
>                   NC:path="/usr/bin/vlc" />
> </RDF:RDF>
> (END)
> -------------------------------------------------EoF------------------------------------------------------
> It looks like it is trying to tell the system to use vlc, but I do not
> even get that
> option.

I checked it out on my SuSE 11.1 machine, firefox at least gives me the
option of opening with another file, I go and select vlc, and start watching
a movie, so something has been hog tied in the version that Ubuntu is
using I am suspecting. I may start looking at other options, I am beginning
to smell something MS in Ubuntu, I hope I am wrong but sure seems like
they are trying to exert too much control over things.

On SuSE it will not allow me to change the original player that it points and
which is irritating it want to open the file with Realplayer (boo hiss), but I
believe that is going to be less of a issue to fix than the Ubuntu machines.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;