Re: [SLUG] Firefox will only download mp4 files

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Jan 18 2010 - 21:40:03 EST

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 07:45:38PM -0500, Chuck Hast wrote:

> I found it partially, my lighttpd web server did not have mp4 listed in the
> mime.type file. All I did was find out what I needed to do and make a entry
> to it.
>
> Now my SuSE machine automagicly starts up the vlc plugin and shows my
> videos, BUT Firefox on my Ubuntu machines insist on doing a file dowload
> and THEN starting up vlc. I think I can see where the problem is, Firefox on
> Ubuntu will not allow me to set the vlc multimedia plugin as the default
> player. But it downloads the file to vlc then starts up VLC. I am trying to
> figure out where the vlc multimedia plug in is so I can try to figure out how
> to get mp4 aimed at it. The funny thing is every other bit of video
> files that
> Firefox list has VLC Multimedia plug in listed as the default plug in.
>
> Why do they work so hard to make this so hard to fix?? I am just about to
> rip Ubuntu off of my machines and go all to SuSE, it appears that they are
> trying to dumb things down too much.

This is why I avoid distros like Ubuntu. Ubuntu was supposed to be
Debian with a thick skin to make it suitable for n00bs. Kinda like
Mandrake (a thick skin over Red Hat) in an earlier era. But the
trade-off is that you lose the flexibility to easily hack the distro.
The same thing has been said about Gnome versus KDE-- Gnome hides a lot
of configuration details and makes it nearly impossible to change them,
in the name of making it more "user-friendly".

Of course, in your case, this is something they could/should have gotten
right in the first place. Then you wouldn't need to hack it.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster