Re: [SLUG] FiOS, new install

From: John (jandrade@jandrade.com)
Date: Thu Mar 11 2010 - 11:44:13 EST

For whatever is worth, you should know that if you happen to have both the
internet and tv with FiOS, the router they provide is also acting by default
as a DHCP server because the DVR boxes in your house need access to the
internet. This means that you must be careful if you decide to use your own
DHCP server like I do.
Since I have not been able to get into those nifty DVR boxes to change any
settings and since I do not trust something that an ISP gives me by default,
What I had to was setup the FiOS router as a DHCP relay and point it to my
linux server for address assignment.
**Note that you must setup your scope in the same IP subnet as that of the
DVR boxes which is 192.168.1.0/24 and as soon as you see that it works and
identify the DVR boxes' MACs setup address exclusions for these statically.
This worked for me.