[SLUG] PUP Hacking Session - Summary

From: Dylan William Hardison (dylan@hardison.net)
Date: Tue Mar 23 2010 - 10:35:48 EST

The hacking session was a great success.
It was such a success that we will definitely have irregular meetings in
the future.

Before I launch into details of the hacking session, I would like to
remind everyone that our next regular meeting is April 21st,
and the topic is "unix and games", specifically on the genre known as "rogue-likes",
possibly detouring into the realm of MUDs, MOOs, MUSHes, and MUCs.

Our chief presenter is Amanda Gray, who has a bit of an obsession with
rogue-likes (and perhaps a hatred of the venerable nethack).

Now, on to the present (or, well, the past).

We had five teams (totaling seven people) plus five spectators.

Teams:
  * Team Upset (Myself and Christian Brink)
  * Team Fabled (Stephen "perlhaq" Takacs and Luke Varnadore)
  * Team Georgia ("PB")
  * Team RSS (Chris "Chotchki" Hotchkiss)
  * Team Bash (Andrew Gilbertson)

Spectators ("Special Potatos"):
  * Tina Hardison (*grin*)
  * Amanda Gray
  * Dan LeWarne
  * Mary Slaughter
  * Sam Likens

There are some photographs of the people present on facebook[1],
following the link does *not* require a FB login.
Somehow, Dan, Mary, and my own wife managed to escape being
photographed...

TEAMS
=====

Team Bash
---------
With no prior bash experience, Andrew added a file naming feature to mashpodder.

I will post an update when I get the code from him. :)

Team Upset
----------
Christian and I worked on a catalyst-based web application
I've been working on, which is meant to power the unix people website.

Christian Brink began work on a calendaring feature in the same app.

The code can be found on github[2].

In addition to this, the (lacking in features) app is running[3] at this
very moment.

Team RSS
--------
Chris decided to write his application on the google app engine, in
java. His task: a somewhat-realtime RSS feed of the slug list.

He has made some progress and has said he intends to finish it "soon".

Team Fabled
-----------
Stephen took on the responsibility of tutoring Luke in the ways of perl.
Along the way they worked on writing a web app for a
choose-your-own-story book, based on existing xml data files for the
Fabled Lands books (sp?)

I believe they didn't complete this task, but will likely continue it in
the future.

Team Georgia
A person who wishes to be known only as "PB", who was visiting from
Georgia (the state, not the country) worked on a java irc bot.

He seemed to make good progress, because the bot was able to join #pup
and respond to its owner's commands.