Re: [SLUG] hibernation

From: PiousMinion (piousminion@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 25 2010 - 22:35:30 EST

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 11:22 PM, Eben King <eben01@verizon.net> wrote:

> Is it possible to set up a machine with no swap so it'll suspend to a file
> on a remote server accessible only through an 802.11 card? Sure, it'll be
> slow, but that's OK. Right now the share is via Samba but I could figure
> out NFS if Samba is a no-go.
>
> --
> -eben QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP royalty.mine.nu:81
> Two atoms are walking along. Suddenly, one
> stops. The other says, "What's wrong?" "I've lost
> an electron." "Are you sure?" "I'm positive!"

Running with no swap isn't generally a good idea unless you've got a butt
load of ram, but if you have a butt load of ram you probably have a few gigs
to spare on your machine. *shrugs*

There is also a huge security concern if trying to dump the entire contents
of your ram to a remote location. All your passwords, encryption keys, web
sessions, and everything else will be transmitted and stored somewhere else.
 Yikes.

I'm fairly sure this can be done if you prepare an appropriate
initrd/initramfs, but I seriously doubt any distribution supports anything
like this natively. You'd likely have to modify the initrd/initramfs by
hand.

Again, this is a very bad idea, but should be possible.

--Clayton Holloway