Re: [SLUG] sound apps

From: Pete Theisen (petetheisen@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Apr 23 2010 - 22:07:56 EDT

Eben King wrote:
> There is a nasty peak in my speakers' response curves, so I aim to get a
> equalizer (maybe a parametric one) to pull that out. First I need to
> know where (in Hz) and how wide the peak is.
>
> I suppose I could find relevant tones on the piano, but it'd be more
> accurate (I think) to do it computationally. So, I'm looking for two
> things: a pitch generator and an app to make a frequency vs amplitude
> graph. (There's a name for that kind of graph, maybe "Fourier
> Transform". Snd can do it but I don't see how to get a number out of it.)
>
> I realize the microphone and sound hardware can themselves introduce
> nonlinearities, but there's not much I can do about that. What do you
> suggest?

Hi Eben,

Oh, please.

Hook up everything you are going to use "live" and do an "ear check"
with someone who has good ears and knows music. Forget the computer,
just dial the equalizer in with the live listener using representative
material and memorize or write down the settings.

The computer can't "hear" music, LOL.

Unless you are going to play "techno", of course. Then I don't think it
matters at all, not any of it.

--
Regards,

Pete http://pete-theisen.com/ http://elect-pete-theisen.com/ ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.