Re: [SLUG] Port blocking on Verizon

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Tue May 04 2010 - 22:31:32 EDT

On Tue, 4 May 2010, Pete Theisen wrote:

> Paul M Foster wrote:
>> On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 04:16:16PM -0400, Steven Siesel wrote:
>>
>>> Hmmmm I too have Verizon and send mail to my own mailhost. I just tried
>>> sending to port 587 on my
>>> host and it did not work. However, I do know that known services such as
>>> hotmail DO accept mail
>>> on port 587.
>>>
>>> Paul, how did you hear of this news?
>>
>> Got an email from Verizon and then checked the link they included, which
>> gave more information.
>>
>>> From my googling, it appears that Verizon has been in the process of
>> doing this since last year. I'm guessing that they phase over one set of
>> customers at a time.
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> They did us here about a year ago, but since I am on their email it seems OK.
> On the other hand, maybe I did change the port. Incoming is 110, outgoing is
> 25. I think that is what it has always been.

Those are standard for POP3 and SMTP, so probably.

I have HTTP and SSHD on non-standard ports, just to avoid spam and not
because of any port blocking Vzn may or may not do. Occasionally a user
(OK, one user) won't be able to access my website at work because of a
misguided "no nonstandard ports" rule the local IT department cooked up.
Tough noogies.

--
"The Web brings people together because no matter what kind of a
  twisted sexual mutant you happen to be, you've got millions of pals